Sunday, August 4, 2013

A Purposeful Life

Please note before reading that this blog is not about a life full of porpoises, or a life full of proposals, although I hope to experience both of those things at some point. This is about a life of purpose. 

I go through life every day doing many things. Sometimes I think about them before, other times it's simply reflex. After reading my devotion this morning, I was thinking about how important it is to be purposeful and intentional. I thought about some of the things I'm excellent at being intentional about:

  • Planning events with friends/professional meetings and following though on my plans
  • Going to the gym consistently
  • Having a morning quiet time spent with Jesus
  • Eating healthy and making sure to get three meals a day
And I though about some of the things I have been less than intentional about:

  • Consistently attending a church and becoming part of a family there
  • Being clear with girls and letting them know whether I'm interested or not
  • Catching up with old friends who I still love but haven't seen in years
  • Starting a Bible Study
Of course, these are just examples. Those of you who know me can likely agree with this list. I need to work on the second half. And I'm trying to change. I have a church that I like. I have been once and plan to go more, and this is the last morning I'm going to skip church without a valid excuse. I'm going to start trying to communicate to girls what I'm interested in, whether that's being just friends or taking it further. Although, honestly, I need to work on the first half more...I want to catch up with old friends. Remember, if you're reading this and wondering if I even still know who you are, I do. Once friends, always friends. I love all my friends, and I pick things up wherever we left off, no matter how long it's been. And I've been trying to start a Bible Study, but I've decided I need to stop trying to gather the perfect group and just find one solid guy to have the study with.

Being purposeful can help in so many areas of life. And I have also come to believe that it's a part of maturity to live with purpose in everything you do. Kids (and sadly, teenagers and twenty-somethings) go through life too often doing just what 'feels good.' Ask anyone, and they'll tell you that's an ultimately empty way to live. I want to do great things, and to do great things, I must intend to do great things. So here's to being intentional. It's time to stop going with the flow, whether it's the flow of the world, or the flow of how my life has been. Time to step up. Anyone with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment